Jun 23, 2021
This episode is
brought to you by Merk Research. Visit this link to take advantage of the offer
presented on the podcast. To listen without ads or
announcements, become a premium
subscriber or join our substack, which gets you access to a host
of other benefits, including (but not limited to) the new Daily
Contrarian podcast, released every market day morning by 7:00 a.m.
Colin Lancaster, global head of macro/fixed income at Schonfeld
Strategic Partner Fund, joins the podcast to discuss his
book Fed Up! Success, Excess and Crisis Through the Eyes
of a Hedge Fund Macro Trader.
The book spans the period from October 2019 to June 2020
and includes the height of the coronavirus crisis. This features
heavily into the conversation. We also discuss the Federal Reserve
and his view of current markets.
(Spotify users can click on the timestamp to link to the
- What went into him writing the book? What was the impetus?
- Macro investing and the need to be a diversifier and disaster
- What is he most concerned about right now in markets?
- What does an investor do in this market, especially with the
Fed continuing to hold rates near zero? (14:30);
- The Fed's experiment is "dangerous" and the central bank has
"very little credibility" when it comes to inflation (18:55);
- Background on the guest (23:49);
- The Fed's role in creating and fostering wealth inequality is
significant, despite its good intentions (27:48);
- How to go about fixing this? Does the Fed perhaps have too much
- The book is technically a novel and has quite a few characters.
Are these fictional or based on real people? (36:28);
- Alternative data; some ideas of what to look for (40:35).
More Information on the Guest
Not intended as investment advice.