Feb 21, 2023
A short clip of actionable
highlights from this podcast episode was distributed to premium
subscribers on Feb. 9 — almost one week ago at the time of this
writing. The full podcast
episode followed a day after that. To become a premium
subscriber and take advantage of this and a host of other benefits
(and avoid annoying ads and announcements), visit our Supercast or Substack and sign up!
Callie Cox of eToro joins the podcast to discuss her view that
the Federal Reserve can engineer a 'soft landing' -- defeating
inflation while not tipping the US economy into a recession.
- It's hard to see how the Fed will be able to combat inflation
without breaking things in the economy, but this is the guest's
- This view is partly based on the job market (4:06);
- Inflation is the major risk to the 'soft landing' thesis. But
there are encouraging signs (6:00);
- Still, there is a chance investors are underestimating the
chances of higher interest rates from the Fed (8:08);
- Ultimately, investors are discounting the global economy's
- Technology has been harder hit than other sectors of the
economy, which may bring second-order effects especially locally.
But nationally, initial jobless claims are still low (13:57);
- The US consumer has been a particular strong point. No reason
for that to stop (15:53);
- Background on the guest (20:12);
- Views on cryptocurrency (24:48);
- The concept of decentralized finance, or DeFi: not just a
fool's errand (26:43);
- Does the VIX still matter? Maybe, but there are better options
to gauge volatility (31:14).
More on Callie Cox
Not investment advice.