Feb 25, 2021
This episode is brought to you by Merk
Research. Visit this link to take
advantage of the offer presented on the podcast. To listen without
ads or announcements, become a premium subscriber, which gets you access
to a host of other benefits, including (but not limited to) the new
Daily Contrarian podcast, released every market day morning around
7:00 a.m. eastern time.
"Ze Contrarian," a well-known and well-followed fintwit investor
(Twitter handle: @ZeContrarian7) joins the
podcast to discuss his investment philosophy and provide several
stock picks for listeners.
A few segments of this episode contain adult language. Listener
discretion is advised.
(Spotify users can click on the timestamp to link to the segment
- Investment philosophy and view of the markets: it's a brave new
world with promoters on social media and elsewhere moving stocks
- Where are the opportunities right now? Things move quickly, but
biotechnology and companies that are part of the "great reopening"
are two fertile areas (9:17);
- First idea: Odonate Therapeutics (NASDAQ: ODT) (15:33);
- Second idea: MediWound (NASDAQ: MDWD) (18:41);
- Third idea: Farfetch (NYSE: FTCH) (23:33);
- Fourth idea: Hostelworld Group (PINK: HSWLF). "There's no
better example for a contrarian investment than this stock."
- Brief discussion of hostels, where the host unwittingly reveals
just how much of a boomer he really is (34:56);
- Background on the guest (45:26)
- The contrarian indicator that allowed him to get out of the
market ahead of the COVID meltdown last February (50:55);
- How does he find opportunities? It's all about building a
- How to produce income? BDCs, or business development companies.
Current favorite: Golub Capital (NASDAQ: GBDC) (59:32);
- The coming boom in long-term travel and remote work and why it
bodes well for the hotel industry (1:05:46);
- The potential of Mexico (1:08:19).
Not intended as investment advice.