May 31, 2023
This episode was made available to premium subscribers
on May 24, without ads or announcements. To become a premium
subscriber sign up on Supercast or Substack.
MIT Economist Simon Johnson joins the podcast to discuss his
book, 'Power and Progress, Our Thousand-Year Struggle Over
Technology and Prosperity' and specifically why artificial
intelligence is likely overhyped, and that not just from an
- Artificial intelligence's default trajectory is about machine
intelligence, code for replacing people with machines.
Historically, this has not brought great things (1:21);
- Indeed technological progress has not always benefited
everybody, but just a small group at the top. Today's advancements
are no different (5:11);
- Don't expect a boost to business either. Productivity gains
should be limited (9:17);
- Some of the dangers of Chat GPT and Google's Bard that is
driving most business development around AI (20:12);
- Background on the guest (24:26);
- Thoughts on the current market environment and its potential to
spill over into crisis (27:43).
For More Information